Thursday, April 26, 2012

Need Computer help for video card!?

Okay I own an old computer a Compaq Presario 7462 with 320 MB of SDRAM, 500 MHz AMD-K6 processor and a 10GB Maxtor HDD. According to my specification sheet I have a

Integrated 2X AGP 3D Graphics Integrated 64-bit hardware-accelerated 3D graphics. When I attempt to play videos on youtube for example it's really choppy and laggy. In addition ads load kind of slow and lag a bit 2wo. I would like to know what video card you would recommend and if It is the video card at all. PLEASE HELP WOULD APPRECIATE IT!|||That is an old and slow PC, so not only is the card a hindrance the PC on the whole is barely able to run any kind of modern graphics. I suggest you invest in a new PC with a modern graphics card, the card that you want is not compatible with your system|||It is alost definatly the video card. I would recomend an ati radeon 9600 pro (google it) I use it and it works great|||Any AGP graphic card you'll find. Some budget AGP card with 128MB/RAM.|||It is not just the video card, the ram 320 MB is nothing and the processor is slow.|||upgrade to a AGP geforce fx 5200/5500 6200 w/turbocache or ATI radeon 9250 9600 9700 x300|||Not surprising that video is choppy with your current system.



I just sold a very similar system. The AMD K6 processor wasn't a very good multimedia processor and often sucked with video playback. Onboard graphics are also going to eat up computer power to play video's as well.



An Nvidia 6200 would take some of the load off your CPU and should help out with video playback. Unfortunately the card you mentioned is PCI-e which is not compatible with your computer as you mentioned the system uses AGP.



Unfortunately all the AGP video cards at Tigerdirect.com were much more expensive than the PCI-e one you saw :(



If it were my computer I would either : 1) upgrade to something better but if that wasn't an option I would



2) Double check the motherboard has an AGP slot and if so then find a cheap AGP card on Ebay and see if it helps. Personally I would look to get a geforce2 card for under $10 (including shipping) and see if it helps.



The Geforce2 is terribly dated for any sort of gaming but should take some of the load off the CPU and squeeze every last fps out of your system.



Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment